Game of Thrones gained impressive popularity over the years, including its spinoff, House of Dragons.
Dubrovnik, Croatia, is one lovely setting where the show’s production occurred. The land has a rich culture, and these five places are top attractions for fan visitors.
1. The Jesuit Stairs – These famous Baroque stairs appeared in Season Five during the infamous ‘Walk of Shame’ scene.
The stairs extend from Gundulic Square to St. Ignatius Church and embrace Spanish architecture. The iconic scene catapulted the location’s popularity and has become a frequently visited landmark.
The view from the top is charming and gives you a great view of the city.
2. Fort Lovrijenac – This area is often called St. Lawrence Fortress. It is a theater located on the outskirts of the western walls of the Old Town in Dubrovnik.
The fortress’s interior is used for filming the halls of the ‘Red Keep’ while the exterior captures Blackwater Bay. Visitors are welcome to navigate the fort and experience its ancient history.
3. City Walls – The amazing City Walls of Dubrovnik were a major deciding factor with producers when selecting Dubrovnik to shoot this beloved series.
Countless scenes feature the Medieval style walls, including some near the Narrow Sea, and many of the private walks filmed for the show.
You can take a tour of the walls for a small fee. There are three main entrances, and while taking the tour, you will get an opportunity to see Lovrijenac Fortress and capture beautiful views of the Adriatic Sea.
4. Tresteno Arboretum – This site is a prominent filming location known as the King’s Landing and Red Keep’s Garden on the show.
It’s located 10 miles from Dubrovnik. The park is stunning and encapsulates the privacy represented in the series.
It’s one of the oldest arboretums in the world, and the hedges combined with the floral selections are immaculate.
5. Island of Lokrum – This island is located 600 meters from the city and is home to the famous ‘Iron Throne.’ The throne is housed in the Visitors Center and is free for spectators.
If you’d like, you are welcome to pose and snap a few pics sitting on the throne.
Other Game of Thrones points of interest in Lokrum include the botanical gardens (located off the coast) featured in the city of Quarth as well as the monastery.
The essence of the show is everywhere in Dubrovnik. As you walk the streets, you will surely recognize details and signature scenes from the series.
Dubrovnik, Croatia is a must-visit for Game of Thrones fans. So many iconic scenes were filmed there, like the ‘Walk of Shame’ on the Jesuit Stairs and King’s Landing at the Tresteno Arboretum. Explore the City Walls, Fort Lovrijenac, and snap a photo while seated upon the famous ‘Iron Throne’ at the Island of Lokrum. You’ll feel the show’s essence all surrounding you, making it an unforgettable experience.
We’d love to help you plan your next vacation, whether it’s to Croatia or someplace else on your bucket list. Shoot us a DM or pop over to our website https://treasuredstoriestravel.com to get in touch.